Two weeks ago I finally finished my mash up of Homer Simpson with an Andy Warhol dollar sign. And here it is.
“Dough.” 5-color hand pulled silkscreen print, 18 x 24 inches, 2016.
If you’ve been following my Facebook page you’ll know that I live broadcasted most of the printing process. I also have time lapse video drawing the full size films onto frosted mylar and may make a video of the whole process at some point. Most of the illustration was done with a black oil pastel crayon, with the large blocks of yellow and orange filled in with black ink and a brush.
Why Homer Simpson And What Does It Mean?
I was a bit apprehensive about this piece because if it doesn’t cross a line, it approaches it. Up until now I’ve prided myself on doing original concepts. It can be difficult to be successful doing that because if you look around, that is not what people want. And I enjoy a lot of pop art, but I feel so much of it is too easy by taking advantage of a well known and loved property and putting a twist on it. So if I was going to do this, it had to be for good reason and to make a statement I could stand by.
Drunk Homer Simpson says, “I could do a lot of things if I had some money…”
Money spent to date on making silkscreen prints: $2848
Income from selling prints to date: $236.83
That amounts to a loss of $2611.17. If that’s all you’re interested in you can stop reading now, but I’m trying to measure gains and losses in other ways, too. Besides that, it’s only been just over a year since the first print came off my press. Most new businesses don’t turn a profit in their first year, so I guess I’m no different there. What about gains and losses that aren’t financial and where did all that money go? Continue reading →
35mm Russian Zenith. Test Print edition of ten pieces. 12 x 15 inches.
This weekend I finally got around to printing two versions of this 2-color print featuring a 35mm Russian Zenith 3M camera. Some things could have gone better, but overall I’m pleased with the results. Shown above is a copy from the test print edition of ten. So how did this print come to be? Continue reading →
This past weekend I tried to spend some time working on new designs. I’m a little burned out on the motorcycle print designs (and I don’t have the ink and paper to print it anyway) so I went back to something familiar: Guitar Playing Robots. In this case it’s a Telecaster Robot. Continue reading →
The last couple weeks I’ve been working on a design for a motorcycle print. The image above is a design I’ve moved away from now, but is what started the process. The idea was a 4-color print (red, blue, black, and silver) in a 12 x 18 inch format. This isn’t just any motorcycle to me. It’s the beloved Triumph Thunderbird that I sold last year to help pay bills and buy more art supplies.
So what was wrong with this design? It’s just kind of boring. The bike sits there against the Union Jack, not because I’m a big anglophile, but Triumph was one of the big names in British motorbikes and maybe the only one still left. Continue reading →
Sometimes I know exactly what I want to draw. Sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I know and for some reason I’m just not ready to do it. When it doubt, I say doodle.
Random jam doodle page, January 2016
Above is a random set of doodles I started making one evening when I just needed to unwind. I don’t do this nearly often enough. Doodling is a great way to warm up and drawing, like many other things, is greatly benefitted by warming up. I was pretty pleased with some of the random things that came out of this doodle page and how they went on to spark new ideas. Continue reading →
Origami Crane. 3-color silkscreen print. 7 x 5 inches.
If you’ve not heard yet I printed 1000 origami crane prints and I intend to give them all away before the end of 2016. Several requests have been received already and I hope to see more come in steadily.
Much of the “why” is already documented on the Crane Giveaway page where I also detail how you can get one of these mini-prints for free (or mostly free). Today I’m going to document the struggles of the technical process. Continue reading →
Skunkworks, 18 x 24 inches. 5-color silkscreen print. First version.
A couple weeks ago I finished this design and printed it in a pretty short order. In retrospect I wish I hadn’t rushed it so much. It’s not awful and I still like the design, but it wasn’t quite what I had in mind. Here’s how it got started. Continue reading →
This bass playing robot is nearly 15 years in the making! Here’s the evolution from initial sketch to (nearly) print ready artwork.
First rough sketch
The first guitar playing robot didn’t play guitar at all. He was an evil robot killer named Mr. Self Destruct after a Nine Inch Nails song. Instead of feat his legs attached to single wheel like Gizmo Duck from Duck Tales. For awhile now I’ve thought about reintroducing this idea in a new bass playing robot.
The thing with doing art is it requires a good amount of focus. It’s easy to get sucked into side projects and I have been trying to get away from having too many things going on at once. Sometimes it is unavoidable. In the case of the motorcycle print I simply don’t have the tools and ink on hand to do the whole job right now. I could write an update about the fine tuning of pixels in Photoshop, but there really isn’t much to see. So over the weekend I set to work on a quick prototyping of a custom MUJI A6 Blank Notebook. Continue reading →