Tag Archives: acrylic

35mm Russian Zenith Camera Print

Test Print Edition of 35mm Russian Zenith

35mm Russian Zenith. Test Print edition of ten pieces. 12 x 15 inches.

This weekend I finally got around to printing two versions of this 2-color print featuring a 35mm Russian Zenith 3M camera. Some things could have gone better, but overall I’m pleased with the results. Shown above is a copy from the test print edition of ten. So how did this print come to be? Continue reading

The Big Swatch Book of Silkscreen Printing Inks and Papers

So I’ve been working giving away cranes and new designs, but a new BIG IDEA came to mind recently and I couldn’t help but play around with the possibilities.

Simulated CMYK swatch

Simulated CMKY inks on French Speckletone Kraft

With every print I do I make an effort to try something new and grow a bit as a printer. When I started I was using Dick Blick waterbased textile inks. They are okay for some things, but I stepped up to Speedball Acrylic inks earlier this year and I like them considerably better and the price difference is negligible. My expereience with different papers has been a few colors from French Paper and Domtar Cougar 100# Cover stock. The Cougar seems to do the job and at about 30 cents per 19 x 25 inch sheet it’s affordable. But what would the same print on BFK Rives paper (at more than ten times the cost) look like? Continue reading

Silkscreen Prints And Tests: Old, New, And Metallic Inks

Triumph Motorcycle Digital Mock Up

Triumph Motorcycle Digital Mock Up

Progress has been a little slow with my new job, but I’m getting somewhere. Above is the third or fourth iteration of a design I’ve been playing around with. Half-jokingling I’ve referred to this as the first in a series of “Things I’ve Sold To Pay The Bills”. If you’ve been following this blog for a while you know that I put a lot of time and care into my 1996 Triumph Thunderbird. It was one of the first things to go when I quit my previous job and really started focusing more on screen printing.  Continue reading

Summertime Blues, Pt. 3: Slow progress

A brief recap on the woes of printing this summer:

  • The basement was too damp. 80% humidity! Spent some money on a good dehumidifier and I’m back down to 40% RH.
  • Before I realized how much of the humidity was my problem I decided maybe I need to work with a different emulsion and switch from Murakami Photocure Pro to Ulano QT-D (Discharge).
  • The wide format inkjet printings from OfficeMax did not seem to have a dense enough black pigmented ink. I found a source for wide format toner copies at FedEx/Kinkos (though I have to drive 25 miles to get them).
  • The kind folks at Gigposters.com have been giving me some advice. It’s come in handy, especially tips on coating screens.

Third (I think) step test with Ulano TQ-D emulsion

Third (I think) step test with Ulano QT-D emulsion

Continue reading