Tag Archives: process

Speeding Motorcycle: Print Progress

Initial Motorcycle Print Concept

Initial Motorcycle Print Concept

The last couple weeks I’ve been working on a design for a motorcycle print. The image above is a design I’ve moved away from now, but is what started the process. The idea was a 4-color print (red, blue, black, and silver) in a 12 x 18 inch format. This isn’t just any motorcycle to me. It’s the beloved Triumph Thunderbird that I sold last year to help pay bills and buy more art supplies.

So what was wrong with this design? It’s just kind of boring. The bike sits there against the Union Jack, not because I’m a big anglophile, but Triumph was one of the big names in British motorbikes and maybe the only one still left. Continue reading

Making of the Origami Crane Print

Crane Giveaway Print Detail

Origami Crane. 3-color silkscreen print. 7 x 5 inches.

If you’ve not heard yet I printed 1000 origami crane prints and I intend to give them all away before the end of 2016. Several requests have been received already and I hope to see more come in steadily.

Much of the “why” is already documented on the Crane Giveaway page where I also detail how you can get one of these mini-prints for free (or mostly free). Today I’m going to document the struggles of the technical process. Continue reading

Skunkworks Print: Don’t Rush the Print Job!

Finished Skunkworks Print

Skunkworks, 18 x 24 inches. 5-color silkscreen print. First version.

A couple weeks ago I finished this design and printed it in a pretty short order. In retrospect I wish I hadn’t rushed it so much. It’s not awful and I still like the design, but it wasn’t quite what I had in mind. Here’s how it got started. Continue reading

Silkscreen Prints And Tests: Old, New, And Metallic Inks

Triumph Motorcycle Digital Mock Up

Triumph Motorcycle Digital Mock Up

Progress has been a little slow with my new job, but I’m getting somewhere. Above is the third or fourth iteration of a design I’ve been playing around with. Half-jokingling I’ve referred to this as the first in a series of “Things I’ve Sold To Pay The Bills”. If you’ve been following this blog for a while you know that I put a lot of time and care into my 1996 Triumph Thunderbird. It was one of the first things to go when I quit my previous job and really started focusing more on screen printing.¬† Continue reading

Hazaa! The Silo Is Printed!

Gah! I’m three days passed my self-imposed deadline to update this blog. That’s okay, I was hard at work printing. And look, I made a video!

Printing The Silo

I’ve seen a few screen printing process videos and I’m always interested in seeing more, especially if the printer does something a bit different. But I realize why more people don’t do this…it’s a huge pain! Not only setting up to shoot, but then editing when I’d rather be making art. Continue reading

Blocking being done in Illustrator

Process: Editing Separations (Again) For Print

Guitar playing robot closeup

Figure 1. Close up of The Guitar Playing Robot print in it’s nearly final state

Note: This is Part Three of a process post. For earlier posts see Process: Digital Art Editing of the Guitar Playing Robot and Process: What Counts As Cheating When Making Art?

Three months! That’s how long I’ve been editing separations¬†on this image and making little adjustments to it. Mind you I’ve got a full-time job and house to maintain and I’ve been working on some other art projects in the meantime. As disgusted as I am with my slow progress, I’m rather glad I didn’t call this done three months ago. To refresh your memory, here’s what it looked like then: Continue reading

Process: Love Poem Poster (Part 2)

Early Poster Mock Up

Early Poster Mock Up, 11 x 14

Yesterday I wrote a little bit about the words and meaning behind this work in progress. Today I’m doing an examination of the design process in my Love Poem Poster. Above is an early test on an actual 11 x 14 inch drawing pad. There isn’t any fancy lettering and it is mostly a test to play with some color and see if I could get all the words to fit. They didn’t. After I did this I realized I left out a whole stanza (“Gets together to study, does not grouse. Says, ‘Hey buddy, this one’s on the house.'”), but I found a way to make it fit later. Sort of. Continue reading