Wow. It is September 9 already and I haven’t posted here since the end of June. Where did July and August go? I’ll tell you: Work. At the beginning of July I transferred to a different building at work as part of a promotion. The good news is that my base pay is more than 20% greater. The bad news is that the hours are killing me. In one recent two-week period I worked 128 hours. This week looks like it’s going to be the same deal. So it’s not that I don’t want to be working on art, it’s just that I’m so spent at the end of the day that it’s hard to make a lot of progress.
Above is the keyline in progress for my motorcycle print. At one point I’d hoped to be printing this by August. It’s probably going to be difficult to sell motorcycle prints at the end of October. Maybe I’ll sit on them until spring. Continue reading →
A brief recap on the woes of printing this summer:
The basement was too damp. 80% humidity! Spent some money on a good dehumidifier and I’m back down to 40% RH.
Before I realized how much of the humidity was my problem I decided maybe I need to work with a different emulsion and switch from Murakami Photocure Pro to Ulano QT-D (Discharge).
The wide format inkjet printings from OfficeMax did not seem to have a dense enough black pigmented ink. I found a source for wide format toner copies at FedEx/Kinkos (though I have to drive 25 miles to get them).