Tag Archives: screenprinting

Making of the Origami Crane Print

Crane Giveaway Print Detail

Origami Crane. 3-color silkscreen print. 7 x 5 inches.

If you’ve not heard yet I printed 1000 origami crane prints and I intend to give them all away before the end of 2016. Several requests have been received already and I hope to see more come in steadily.

Much of the “why” is already documented on the Crane Giveaway page where I also detail how you can get one of these mini-prints for free (or mostly free). Today I’m going to document the struggles of the technical process. Continue reading

Hazaa! The Silo Is Printed!

Gah! I’m three days passed my self-imposed deadline to update this blog. That’s okay, I was hard at work printing. And look, I made a video!

Printing The Silo

I’ve seen a few screen printing process videos and I’m always interested in seeing more, especially if the printer does something a bit different. But I realize why more people don’t do this…it’s a huge pain! Not only setting up to shoot, but then editing when I’d rather be making art. Continue reading

Summertime Blues, Pt. 3: Slow progress

A brief recap on the woes of printing this summer:

  • The basement was too damp. 80% humidity! Spent some money on a good dehumidifier and I’m back down to 40% RH.
  • Before I realized how much of the humidity was my problem I decided maybe I need to work with a different emulsion and switch from Murakami Photocure Pro to Ulano QT-D (Discharge).
  • The wide format inkjet printings from OfficeMax did not seem to have a dense enough black pigmented ink. I found a source for wide format toner copies at FedEx/Kinkos (though I have to drive 25 miles to get them).
  • The kind folks at Gigposters.com have been giving me some advice. It’s come in handy, especially tips on coating screens.

Third (I think) step test with Ulano TQ-D emulsion

Third (I think) step test with Ulano QT-D emulsion

Continue reading

Process: Wiring Fluorescent Ballasts On The Cheap

My first exposure unit. February 2015 - May 2015. RIP.

My first exposure unit. February 2015 – May 2015. RIP.

A couple weeks ago I broke my first makeshift exposure unit. I was using three 500 watt halogen lights in combination with a compression system (glass, stencil, screen, foam, plywood) held together with clamps. It started with a single halogen at a long distance and I kept adding lights and decreasing the distance. During this last burn the stencil film even melted a bit. Well, the clamps didn’t allow the glass to expand (from the heat) and the whole thing broke. So I’m moving on to a new system and today I’m going to detail wiring fluorescent light ballasts to save a buck.

Fluorescent light fixtures are available in a number of configurations. However, they are often costly and the spacing of bulbs is rarely ideal for exposing screens. My hope is that my move to fluorescents will dramatically decrease exposure time and heat.  Continue reading

Adventures in Screen Printing, Etc.

Love Poem Print

Love Poem Print. 12.5″ x 19″. Open edition on French Paper 80# Starch Rain Cover Stock

Last week I had my first successful print come out of my very own studio by my very own hands. It isn’t the finest print anyone has ever made, but it’s an important milestone for me. Now that I feel a little more comfortable with my process I am more confident about future prints and investing more funds into ink and paper. Also, you can buy your own copy now.

This particular design was out of practicality. If you’ve followed this blog, you know that I have other designs that incorporate this poem that I wrote. This design came out of the fact that I had 100 sheets of this paper left over from a print that didn’t work out and I wanted to print something on it. It may be difficult to discern on your screen, but the actual paper has a slight blue tint to it. So this got a layer of white behind the larger letters so that the smaller print would really pop. Continue reading

Process: Guitar Playing Robot Final Chapter

At last the time has come to present the Guitar Playing Robot print! Nearly a year in the making, here is the final result and some thoughts and notes on the process.

Full-size actual print

Mom models the Guitar Playing Robot print for the camera

Note: This is Part Four of a process post. For earlier posts see Process: Digital Art Editing of the Guitar Playing RobotProcess: What Counts As Cheating When Making Art?, and Process: Editing Separations (Again) For Print.

Continue reading

Progress Report: What’s Up Doc?

Under Exposed Screen

Failed screen exposure, February 27, 2015

Ack! I’ve been derelict in my blogging duties again. Here is a progress report.

The Love Poem Project

Unfortunately my Kickstarter project was not successful. I should probably be more disappointed, but just because I didn’t get funding for the prints doesn’t mean the idea is dead. I hope to use the words and some of the imagery in future projects even if these exact posters don’t get printed.

Job Leads

A couple things of interest have come up. Most notable is a possible lead out in California. That’s a big move and a big change of scenery, but maybe it would be a great opportunity. I hope to be hopping on a plane shortly to go check it out. Continue reading