Tag Archives: serigraphy

35mm Russian Zenith Camera Print

Test Print Edition of 35mm Russian Zenith

35mm Russian Zenith. Test Print edition of ten pieces. 12 x 15 inches.

This weekend I finally got around to printing two versions of this 2-color print featuring a 35mm Russian Zenith 3M camera. Some things could have gone better, but overall I’m pleased with the results. Shown above is a copy from the test print edition of ten. So how did this print come to be? Continue reading

Year In Review: Prints of 2015

Since 2015 was the first year of Neat & Keen it’s probably not a bad idea to at least do it this time. And although I’ve had the Neat & Keen website up now for a year, our first print didn’t roll out until late March. Hopefully there is much more to come in 2016. Here’s a look at all the prints from 2015.

The Love Poem Poster

Love Poem Print

Love Poem Print. 12.5″ x 19″. Open edition on French Paper 80# Starch Rain Cover Stock

I’m not terribly fond of this design, but this is the first thing that was ever printed here in my basement studio. It was kind of thrown together quickly so that I had a design to print. A copy of this was sold to a gentleman in Germany for my first ever Etsy sale, but I’ve since removed it from the store. It’s actually a two color print, white and red inks on very slightly blue French Paper Starch Rain 80# Cover Stock. If you still want a copy of it get in touch with me.

First mention: Adventures in Screen Printing Continue reading

Homage to Ray Johnson and Kurt Cobain with Self-Portrait, Etc.

Finished 4-color print

Finished 4-color print. 19×25 inches as shown, to be trimmed to 18×24.

This past Saturday I finished up this experimental print. I’m pleased that this took two weeks instead of two months like The Silo, but it still caused a bit of a struggle. Today I’m going to share some of the artistic considerations and the technical process. Continue reading

Summertime Blues, Pt. 3: Slow progress

A brief recap on the woes of printing this summer:

  • The basement was too damp. 80% humidity! Spent some money on a good dehumidifier and I’m back down to 40% RH.
  • Before I realized how much of the humidity was my problem I decided maybe I need to work with a different emulsion and switch from Murakami Photocure Pro to Ulano QT-D (Discharge).
  • The wide format inkjet printings from OfficeMax did not seem to have a dense enough black pigmented ink. I found a source for wide format toner copies at FedEx/Kinkos (though I have to drive 25 miles to get them).
  • The kind folks at Gigposters.com have been giving me some advice. It’s come in handy, especially tips on coating screens.

Third (I think) step test with Ulano TQ-D emulsion

Third (I think) step test with Ulano QT-D emulsion

Continue reading

Artistic Process of the Covered Rose

Pink Covered Rose

Covered Rose. Edition of 87. 12 x 18 inches.

In my last post I briefly mentioned the possibility of doing this print. Now it is a reality. The story: While out in California on two consecutive nights i had a dream that I was trying to go to sleep on the very sofa I was sleeping, but instead of pulling a blanket over me I was puling at a canvas ripped from its frame with this image on it. The first night I didn’t think much of it, but the second night I knew I had to make a sketch and I started my first draft of the rose on the plane ride back to Illinois. And there is the impetus. Continue reading