Two weeks ago I finally finished my mash up of Homer Simpson with an Andy Warhol dollar sign. And here it is.
“Dough.” 5-color hand pulled silkscreen print, 18 x 24 inches, 2016.
If you’ve been following my Facebook page you’ll know that I live broadcasted most of the printing process. I also have time lapse video drawing the full size films onto frosted mylar and may make a video of the whole process at some point. Most of the illustration was done with a black oil pastel crayon, with the large blocks of yellow and orange filled in with black ink and a brush.
Why Homer Simpson And What Does It Mean?
I was a bit apprehensive about this piece because if it doesn’t cross a line, it approaches it. Up until now I’ve prided myself on doing original concepts. It can be difficult to be successful doing that because if you look around, that is not what people want. And I enjoy a lot of pop art, but I feel so much of it is too easy by taking advantage of a well known and loved property and putting a twist on it. So if I was going to do this, it had to be for good reason and to make a statement I could stand by.
35mm Russian Zenith. Test Print edition of ten pieces. 12 x 15 inches.
This weekend I finally got around to printing two versions of this 2-color print featuring a 35mm Russian Zenith 3M camera. Some things could have gone better, but overall I’m pleased with the results. Shown above is a copy from the test print edition of ten. So how did this print come to be? Continue reading →
So I’ve been working giving away cranes and new designs, but a new BIG IDEA came to mind recently and I couldn’t help but play around with the possibilities.
Simulated CMKY inks on French Speckletone Kraft
With every print I do I make an effort to try something new and grow a bit as a printer. When I started I was using Dick Blick waterbased textile inks. They are okay for some things, but I stepped up to Speedball Acrylic inks earlier this year and I like them considerably better and the price difference is negligible. My expereience with different papers has been a few colors from French Paper and Domtar Cougar 100# Cover stock. The Cougar seems to do the job and at about 30 cents per 19 x 25 inch sheet it’s affordable. But what would the same print on BFK Rives paper (at more than ten times the cost) look like? Continue reading →
Since 2015 was the first year of Neat & Keen it’s probably not a bad idea to at least do it this time. And although I’ve had the Neat & Keen website up now for a year, our first print didn’t roll out until late March. Hopefully there is much more to come in 2016. Here’s a look at all the prints from 2015.
The Love Poem Poster
Love Poem Print. 12.5″ x 19″. Open edition on French Paper 80# Starch Rain Cover Stock
I’m not terribly fond of this design, but this is the first thing that was ever printed here in my basement studio. It was kind of thrown together quickly so that I had a design to print. A copy of this was sold to a gentleman in Germany for my first ever Etsy sale, but I’ve since removed it from the store. It’s actually a two color print, white and red inks on very slightly blue French Paper Starch Rain 80# Cover Stock. If you still want a copy of it get in touch with me.
Progress has been a little slow with my new job, but I’m getting somewhere. Above is the third or fourth iteration of a design I’ve been playing around with. Half-jokingling I’ve referred to this as the first in a series of “Things I’ve Sold To Pay The Bills”. If you’ve been following this blog for a while you know that I put a lot of time and care into my 1996 Triumph Thunderbird. It was one of the first things to go when I quit my previous job and really started focusing more on screen printing. Continue reading →
Hey. Sorry. I lied. I said last time that I was going to share some of my poor man mounting tips, but I don’t have it done. It’s been a hectic week and they are about to get more hectic. More on that in a bit. What I do have are the makings of my next print.
Rough Digital Mockup featuring the Martin D-18E
This is a very rough mockup I put together last weekend for my next print. It is not what the print is going to look like. This is mostly for my benefit to see how the colors play with one another. In some senses, this print is experimental. I won’t really know what it’s going to look like until it’s done. And that’s okay. Some of that is by design. With The Silo print I had a pretty strict idea of what the colors would look like and where they would fall. And it turned out more or less as expected. Continue reading →
Three months! That’s how long I’ve been editing separations on this image and making little adjustments to it. Mind you I’ve got a full-time job and house to maintain and I’ve been working on some other art projects in the meantime. As disgusted as I am with my slow progress, I’m rather glad I didn’t call this done three months ago. To refresh your memory, here’s what it looked like then: Continue reading →